With the firm since 1984, Mason is a Senior Principal and the Technical Director at Forell/Elsesser. One of Mason’s most effective roles at the firm is orchestrating teams of engineers to leverage their varied areas of expertise, and quickly develop solutions to even the most complex problems. He constantly explores solution concepts and ideas that are outside the norm, leading to unexpectedly elegant and efficient solutions—a practice he encourages to those he mentors. Mason has also had success in crossing lines between engineering and construction disciplines to improve existing structural engineering methods.
As a well-known industry leader, Mason is a resource for in-house staff and colleagues. His engineering expertise includes such diverse areas as sustainable concrete mix design, seismic isolation of new and historic buildings, long-span bridge design, and performance-based seismic design of steel structures. He excels at the analysis, testing, and design for unusual projects that fall outside the scope of traditional building codes. In the early 1990’s, he developed specifications and testing requirements that were used for the U.S. Court of Appeals seismic retrofit in San Francisco, the first federally funded isolation project. Mason is a licensed Structural Engineer in California, Hawaii, and Washington. He has a Bachelor’s degree from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and a Master’s degree from UC Berkeley.
Mason’s recreational interests include bicycling, backpacking, fly fishing, reading, and cinema. He also enjoys metalworking and carpentry, which he sometimes integrates into his structural engineering practice by building physical models of structures and structural hardware in order to quickly enhance the grasp of clients and colleagues.
- Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC), Solar Photovoltaic Systems Seismic Committee, Voting Member
- Structural Engineers Association of Northern California (SEAONC), Director (2003-2005); Convention Technical Committee, Former Co-Chair; Program Committee, Former Chair; Subcommittee on Protective Systems; Subcommittee on Non-Building Structures
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI), Learning from Earthquakes Committee
- International Association of Bridge & Structural Engineers (IABSE)