- The Cal Maritime Campus needed a new home for their new investment in two new 360-degree view maritime training simulators. Two multi-story copper-clad cylinders were framed and braced to the building structure to house the new simulators. The framing required tight coordination and careful attention to tolerances to be able to create the perfect cylindrical backdrop for the computer-generated simulator.
- The second-floor circulation space and stair framing was designed and detailed with metal grating and hanging gang-way type construction to support the architectural vision of creating spaces with the look and feel of a ship.
With stunning views of San Pablo Bay, this Simulation Center contains state-of-the-art, 360-degree view maritime training simulators and has floor framing and details reminiscent of ship construction.Customized Solution
- Architect: NBBJ
- Owner: California Maritime Academy
- Concentric braced frame lateral system
- Access floors for mechanical distribution throughout building