- The Design/Build approach promoted a cooperative environment between CSU and the members of the design/build team, increasing the team’s flexibility in the face of challenges encountered during the design process.
- The use of a variety of building materials allowed for optimized spaces. The first floor consists of steel framing with buckling-restrained brace frames at classrooms and concrete shear walls at the screening room, while the second floor is framed with light-gauge steel walls for greater freedom in laying out the rooms.
- The building achieves LEED Silver, in part through the use of recycled steel and high-volume fly ash concrete mixes.
Comprising four academic departments, a 200-seat screening room, and a new dean’s suite, this 49,000 square foot structure forms a collaborative center for students and faculty alike. Customized Solution
- Architect: WRNS Studio
- Owner: California State University, Monterey Bay
- General Contractor: Otto Construction