Forell | Elsesser’s seismic upgrade to the UC Berkeley California Memorial Stadium has received numerous awards this spring and fall including:
- The Honor Award for SCUP/AIA-CAE Excellence in Architecture for Restoration/Preservation. The Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) holds this award program yearly and showcases eight categories of Excellence.
- The AISC 2013 IDEAS2 $15-$75 Million Merit Award for Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel for the new construction of the Press Box. An article about the project was featured in the May issue of Modern Steel Construction magazine.
- The Structural Engineers Association of Northern California 2013 Excellence in Structural Engineering Award for the Landmark Category. SEAONC recognizes outstanding achievement and excellence in structural engineering practice and project work in eight categories. Awarded projects and their recipients serve as models of excellence in structural engineering representing California Structural Engineers.
- The Structural Engineers Association of California 2013 Excellence in Structural Engineering Award. SEAOC recognizes outstanding achievement in creative design, technical innovation, best practices, and demonstrated contributions to the public and/or profession.
- The National Council of Structural Engineers Association 2013 Excellence in Structural Engineering Award. NCSEA honors structural engineering ingenuity throughout the world. Projects are judged on innovative design, engineering achievement and creativity.
- The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 2013 Historical Renovation Project of the Year.
- The Berkeley Design Advocates Biennial Award for Design Excellence.
- The ENR California Best Sports/Entertainment Project.
For a case study on our innovative seismic solutions, please visit the Memorial Stadium Case Study page. For general information on the project, visit our Memorial Stadium Project page. HNTB and STUDIOS reprized their same roles for the adjacent Simpson Student-Athlete High Performance Center.
The design team for this project included HNTB as Architect of Record and STUDIOS as Associate Architect. Webcor Builders was the General Contractor.